Barrie Ontario Landlords header image 2

Tenants pets all die in Sunday fire in Ottawa

September 2nd, 2014 · No Comments · bad tenants, Pets

barrie landlords tenants cause fire move out

Three pets died in a weekend fire in Ottawa.

Ottawa firefighters received several 911 calls at 9:15 p.m. Sunday alerting them to a fire at a duplex unit at 730 E. Joliet St. The fire began in a bathroom where a female tenant left on a space heater that ignited curtains and set the room on fire. Neither the woman nor her boyfriend were home at the time of the fire. Tenants in the other half of the duplex were home, but were not injured; they were among the 911 callers.

Fire Chief Jeff Newbury estimated damage to be $35,000, with the one unit rendered uninhabitable. Firefighters cleared the scene at 11:30 p.m. One cat and two dogs — one dog was terrier-like and the other was a pit bull — died in the fire. Newbury said the dogs were in cages and so “didn’t have a chance.”

The owner of the duplex, Randy Spradling, said the tenants moved into the duplex Friday and he believes they went to live with friends after the fire.

Read more here.

Tags: ·

No Comments so far ↓

Like gas stations in rural Texas after 10 pm, comments are closed.